Bromley Cross is a suburb of the unparished area of South Turton in the Metropolitan Borough of Bolton, England. Historically a part of Lancashire, it lies on the southern edge of the West Pennine Moors.
Bromley Cross got its name from an ancient cross, which has long since gone, originally named Kershaw’s Cross after a tenant farmer who lived in the neighbourhood whose landlords, Bromley or Bromiley, owned land in Harwood and Bradshaw. From this family the cross was renamed Bromley Cross.
Bromley Cross is a residential area, but in the 19th century it was part of the township of Bradshaw which in 1898 became part of Turton Urban District. The village of Bromley Cross grew in the 19th century in association with many factories and bleachworks, which used water power obtained from the Eagley Brook and its tributaries.
In the northern area is the “Last Drop Village”, a collection of old farmhouses and farmbuildings which were restored in the 1960s into a pub, restaurant, bistro, craft shops, hotel and conference centre.