Blackrod is a settlement and civil parish of the Metropolitan Borough of Bolton, England. It is 3.9 miles (6.3 km) north-northeast of Wigan and 6.6 miles (10.6 km) west of Bolton and. Historically a part of Lancashire, Blackrod was once a centre for coal mining.
The name Blackrod derives from the Old English, blaec and rodu, meaning a “dark clearing”. The first mention of the town dates to 1189, when it was recorded as Blacherode. It was recorded as Blakerodein 1200, and Blacrode in 1220. Another suggestion is that “rod” may refer to Holy Rood, Cross of Christ.
Blackrod is reputed to be the site of a Roman station and they built a fort on the northern side of the town, on what is now a residential area called Castle Croft. The A6 road is built along the course of a Roman road passes below the hill on which the town is built.
In the first half of the 12th century the manor of Blackrod was held by William Peverel, but was confiscated by the king and in 1190 it was granted to Hugh le Norreys. In 1212 Hugh de Blackrod was tenant. In 1223 Hugh Norreys became lord of Blackrod and the manor descended through his family. Mabel Norris heiress of Blackrod and Haigh married Roger de Bradshaw and the manor remained with the Bradshaws until the 16th century.
Arley Hall was an estate in the west of the township held by William le Walsh in 1393 and later by Standishes and Norrises. The hall was a moated manor house and is now the site of Wigan Golf Course.